Google
 
Web tobearock.blogspot.com

Monday, October 04, 2004

LA Not So Much The City Of Angels

The City of Angels

Doesn't seem to be living up to it's name so much these days. As a result of a recent stay in Chicago, I've come to realize that Los Angeles isn't the greatest city, and in fact it's somewhat of a drain on my soul. You can't go through one day here without running through at least one patch of negative energy, bent on taking whatever smile you woke up with away for a few minutes. Even staying at home is not a guarantee of avoiding this energy, since the people you are forced to live within close proximity to are sometimes the worst of all. Everything here is running so fast, hell bent on getting to next whatever at Mach II no matter what might be in the way. It's like that 3-colored honda civic that just blew past you on the 405 going 95, tach'd out at a 9,000 RPM redline...using every last resource to hold together but right on the edge of blowing a piston rod through the engine block and blowing up.

I'm getting weary of this.

At a younger age I didn't really seem to notice much. I was a blur in my OWN life, changing and moving faster than I had time to notice...now I'm starting to slow down and enjoy my life. Unfortunately when you slow down to enjoy your life it's like driving 35 in the fast lane with a line of cars tailgating you and honking their horns while flippin the middle in your rearview. I don't honestly know how many more years I can willfully wish this energy upon myself.

Don't get me wrong, I'll always be thankful for the path of my life that has wound down through Malibu to Westwood. Curving along Sunset through Hollywood, on the 110 past downtown, skid row, and the Staples Center. Taking a hard right on the 105 and blasting past LAX to the South Bay. El Segundo, Manhattan, Hermosa, and Redondo Beaches. PCH all the way. Up the hill to RPV, peaking and coming to rest on Hawthorne just shy of the Pacific.

Still, this LA...

Killing me day by day.

Ok, maybe a little melo-dramatic, but tell me the last day you foraged out into the wilds of Los Angeles where you didn't get honked at, flipped off, in a near-accident, stuck in traffic, bus fumes in your open window, acosted by the all too pissed off homeless guy, or looked to the mountains only to see a large grey curtain of smog. The same curtain that shields the rest of the world from us, shields us from the rest of the world. If only people could remember simple joys and actually indulge in them. Smoking a cigarette in peace, sitting on a beach with no one else in earshot, curling your bare feet on a fresh lawn or the soft carpet in your house, playing with your children when you get home from work.

We're all caught up in our own little personal bubbles, yet much of what ails this nation is a direct result of us failing to look outside of them. To consider that even if we don't let anything invade our little space, we are invading the outside by our actions and the way we treat our surroundings.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Word.

Nice to meet you, Tangerine.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home